Saturday, April 7, 2007

Local Flavor


Margarita on the Rocks is a Texas favorite! I usually prefer my margarita frozen but last night John and I ate at Chili's and both had the "Presidente" margarita. I think those blue container thingies are really cute. This is "Margarita Madness" month at Chili's. We thought perhaps margaritas were half-priced but upon asking the waitress, we learned that no! they are full price but the waiters and waitresses get "points" for selling them and some sort of prize. We really couldn't see how that would inspire the patrons to buy more margaritas?!? Another curious thing about margaritas...in the days of old(thinking of when I first had a margarita, 30 years ago) they were always made with lime. Last night, I noticed that the strawberry with sugar around the rim margarita seemed to be quite popular! It did have tequila but is that enough to classify the drink as a margarita? Not for us purists. So here is John's version of a traditional margarita on the rocks. Our family believes he makes the best margaritas around!
2-3 tbsp frozen limeade concentrate
1 jigger Cuervo Gold tequila
1 1/2 jigger water
1/2 jigger orange juice
wedge of lime
Mix above ingredients in measuring cup and stir well. Salt rim of glass before filling with margarita. Serve over ice and with a wedge of lime.

1 comment:

Sheila Conner said...

I'm with you on both points: when I want a marguarita, I want a real marguarita--I've found that out the hard way! And earning points for someone else wouldn't help me be inclined to buy more... O well... :)