Sunday, March 4, 2007

Dos Groovey Grocery Stores

Wheatsville Community Grocery--Austin, Texas
I decided a road trip was in order today. Recent discussions, both online and irl, about food co-ops had me eager to check out the cooperative store in Austin. It was smaller than I expected but overflowing with energy and atmosphere. Lots of organic, free trade, locally produced food. I bought some locally produced chipotle chevre and a few other items. From their deli, I bought a turkey/jalapeno jack/sprouts/tomatoe on nine grain bread sandwich and found a sunny spot in a nearby park to have a picnic. ahhh, Austin...gotta love it! Read more about Wheatsville Community Grocery here.

Central Market--Austin, Texas
My favorite grocery store in Austin...besides Whole Foods. This is where I take cooking classes. Today, I purchased sprouted grain bread, challah and their delicious tarragon chicken salad for the family. I got a steaming cup of coffee and creme brulee, then went outside to sit under the trees and listen to the latino band. There were two couples dancing salsa style and a little boy boogying next to them. The sky was blue, the weather perfect, the atmosphere very Austiny!! I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Read more about Central Market here.

7 comments:

Ampersand said...

Oh, what a wonderful day!!

RedGypsie said...

Ah!! That vibe in the co-op...it's infectious. Now you know what I mean when I say shopping there "feeds my soul". Grocery shopping should always be so grand 'eh?

Colleen said...

Yeah! You went! And wasn't it worth it? :-D

Dalissa 365 said...

Mmm... all the food sounds so tasty and thanks for showing where you take your cooking classes.

Anonymous said...

We also have a great Co-op in Roanoke. And in Floyd we have the Harvest Moon. It's not a co-op but you can buy a yearly memebership and get a discount.

So you live near Austin? That's a great city I hear.

SUSAN said...

Colleen-I'm about an hour north of Austin. I went to college there, almost 30 years ago, and wanted to stay but alas..no jobs. Now Austin is much, much bigger(with high tech, music,arts, tourism and education and state government forces) but I still make almost monthly treks back to old-town Austin and my special places. It's a beautiful city, set on the edge of the hill country with lakes and lots of hiking trails. Somewhat liberal and they are big on protecting the environment. One daughter has applied to UT in the fall and if she gets in, I'm sure I'll be making even more trips. :-)

Susan

Sheila Conner said...

What a beautiful day! I love Austin--thanks for bringing it to me today!