Thursday, August 9, 2007

Melancholy



Melancholy...depression of spirits, dejection, a pensive mood

Melancholy is the word that comes to mind as I consider this little girl sitting in a bone-dry bird bath. She holds a shell as if waiting to hear something...she's been waiting for a very long time. Whenever I go to the lakehouse I think, "something needs to be done about her." Then I walk on by.
Last weekend I stopped. I sat down on the grass and took her picture. I let myself feel the melancholy emotions she evokes in me. I knew the "shell" had a message for me but I didn't hear it until just now. I heard, "Don't keep walking by your emotions, Susan. Stop and think about them. Name them. Do the hard work of listening to and healing your spirit."
I will. I am.

5 comments:

LauraLiz said...

Ah, that naming. Not an easy thing, but very much worth it!

MaryD said...

I love the way you connect the girl in your picture with your own journey. I'm glad you listened to her, and even though it's hard work, I think you will find the beauty in your feelings as well.

Ampersand said...

She's beautiful, as are your reflections on her.

Susanne Barrett said...

Good for you! Hard work, but many rewards.... :)

Sheila Conner said...

name them, listen to them, and let them tell you their story. Love you.