Saturday, June 16, 2007

1,2,3...

1. Roll out the brand spanking new grill and deposit "match-starter" charcoal in the bottom. Add a match and VOILA! I am now a FIRESTARTER EXTRAORDINAIRE!
2. Add marinated chicken and proceed to grill it, catch it on fire, douse it with water, smoke it and yourself. Spend lots of time frantically moving pieces around the grill, hoping for the "right" spot. Sit lazily in lawn chair for at least 3 minutes at a time, then hop back up to put out another fire. ahhh, the joys of cooking on the grill! My technique needs a bit of fine-tuning but hey, it was my first time. I haven't grilled over charcoal since my single days; when I would throw a steak, or a few bacon wrapped quail, on a small hibachi and attempt to impress the date. I've graduated to the big grill now. Watch out Bobby Flay!
3. Plate it up! mmm mmm good!

8 comments:

Ampersand said...

it looks fantastic! nice job, doing some girl-grilling!

Ampersand said...

oh, but I don't mean grilling actual girls :).

Sandy said...

Mmm, looks good to me. I love to cook on the grill! You'll be a pro before you know it. Nothing like grilled barbecue chicken!

Btw, cut up chicken can make a lot of flare ups - a squirt bottle of water helps to douse the flames quickly.

SUSAN said...

lol Amp!

Sandy, what's your favorite thing to cook on the grill? My dad suggested wrapping the chicken in foil and cooking it on the grill for about 20 minutes, then taking it out of the foil and cooking it over the heat. Less time to flare up and burn. I did have a squirt bottle of water but when I would squirt on the coals, little puffs of charcoal would go everywhere. I have expected the chicken to be gritty...but it wasn't. ;-)

Susan

my15minutes said...

Your chicken looks yummy. The trick to me for using a 'real' BBQ with charcoal is to start the fire and then leave it alone for up to an hour before putting the food on it, so the briquets get nice and charry rather than flame-y. Beyond that, Sandy's idea sounds good!

Donetta said...

Good job! :) You might have to close the vents a little... that helps with the flames too! *lol* You'll get it... practice makes perfect!

Dalissa McEwen Reeder said...

Well, Beth wrote what I was going to say! The chicken looks tasty!

Anonymous said...

Oh Ya baby!